In this post, I will explain how to start learning QTP and then explain how to proceed with your learning.
- Begin with understanding the importance of software testing. You should learn software testing Concepts and you should have clear understanding of functional and regression testing. You need to be bit familiar with Manual testing such as writing test cases, executing test cases and reporting the issues.
- You should understand the need and importance of software test automation. before learning QTP.
- Download some good QTP handbook from internet. And also, you can refer the Tutorial and other Help files installed with QTP installation.
- Try to understand basics of Object repository. You will become more familiar with using Object Repository once after start working on QTP automation.
- Familiarize yourself using QTP add-ins (i-e selecting/deselecting specific add-ins).
- Understand the basic units such as Test, Actions, external vbscript in QTP by going thro' the Help file and the Handbook document. Practice yourself by creating simple Test with one or two Actions.
- practice yourself by recording and playing some steps using the sample application (Flight booking Application).
- Try to understand the need for having multiple Actions in a particular Test.
- Practice yourself creating Actions and splitting the Actions. And also, understand the need for having external reusable actions, and practice yourself using "Call to Copy of Action" and "Call to Existing Action".
- Familiarize yourself with components such as Expert view, keyword view, Active Screen and Datatable.
- Learn basics of vbscript by going thro' the vbscript documentation available in QTP help file, and be familiar with syntax of frequently used vbscript functions such as mid,instr and split.
- Do some practice to have clear understanding of relation between Test Objects stored in object repository and the Vbscript statements showing in the expert view. You can do it by changing name of Test Object in OR and see the name automatically got changed in the expert view statement. And also, you can try to add/remove/edit some properties of Test Object in the Object Repository.
- Understand the relationship between the Keyword view and the expert view.
- Learn different types of Checkpoints and use them in sample script developed using the sample application. Intentionally put wrong expected result in the checkpoints to see how the Test result will look when showing checkpoint failures.
- Learn to use multiple Object repositories (both Local and Shared), and also practice to get clear understanding of merging of Object Repositories.
- Learn Recovery Scenario to handle unexpected behavior of application.
- Read the Help file to get clear understanding of Datatable and parametrization. And also learn about Action iteration and Test iteration without any ambiguity. Practice it by creating Data Driven testing for simple login screen.
- Start using Reporter.ReportEvent in the code to enhance the reporting of the results.
- Use ObjectSpy to get familiar with finding properties of the Object.
- Learn to change Test Settings and the editor settings. Here you should have clear understanding of which setting is applicable for the particular Test and which setting is applicable for particular instance of QTP installation.
- Understand the need for Synchronization and try to use different ways (use of sync(), waitproperty, and exist) to achieve it.
- Practice to use Step Generator,Function Generator and Active Screen to speed up the automation script creation process.
- Learn about different types of recording modes and understand the need for them.
- Learn how to create/use COM objects such instance of Internet Explorer browser and an instance of excel object.
- Learn to use Debug feature effectively.
- Understand the need for Regular expression and learn some frequently used regular expressions (e.g .*)
- Learn about QTP automation framework creation, and try to create a framework best suitable for your needs.
- Learn Automation Object Model and understand the need for them.
- Learn about best practices (e.g always using reference path) and coding standards.
- Go thro' the QTP forums (e.g www.sqaforums.com) and read the discussions to get familiar with QTP issues and solutions/workarounds.
- Learn to connect with database table for checking the database content.
- Learn basics of Descriptive programming (DP) which is the alternative for Object Repository (OR). Personally I won't recommend to use DP because it will create maintenance problem. But anyway we need to learn Descriptive programming in case we need to update any existing DP code.
- Learn to integrate with Quality Center (QC).
I am planning to write more posts for explaining above topics in details.
If you want to read them you can subscribe to our RSS feed.
Read here if you are new to RSS feed.
eBook for learning Software Testing and QTP Automation.